Monday, October 15, 2007

sketches, hair brush factories, and my grandpa Lyle

It was difficult for me to get to sleep last night, but once I finally started falling into it, I think my roommate asked if I was okay. I'm not sure why she asked, but her words echoed through my head right into the first part of my dream which took place in a big concrete filled room. Everything was gray and I was making pencil sketches on the floor. There was something significant about this part of my dream, or at least I felt there was because I woke up around 5am wanting to hold on to it. Sadly, so much of it has drifted away. As I went back to sleep before my 8'o'clock alarm, I found myself in a place that was both familiar and unfamiliar at the same time. I was with my cousin and we were brushing our hair to prepare for something. We went to this warehouse to pick up new brushes and one of the workers got in trouble for giving me the newest one in stock. She presented it to me through a weeping willow-like array of cords. The warehouse was then filled with broken toys. I returned to the house, and at some point before my arrival, my head was suddenly filled with the knowledge that my Grandpa Lyle (who is still very much alive) had died. I had to tell my brother Cam and he burst into tears. I called my mom to tell her and she cried too. It hurt me so much to see them in pain, but I just kept waiting for my heart to understand that I had lost such a structural and comfortable part of my life with the loss of my dear grandpa. I returned to my dorm and told my roommate what had happened, I also told her that I had had a predictive dream of my grandpa's death three days before.
I woke up feeling as if life was just going to be made up of bulbs of loss connected by strings of mourning.

No comments: